Monday, October 20, 2014

Indifferent

You said I am different.
You said you noticed.
You said you were afraid.
You tried to kill it.

I kissed the ocean in Mexico
and let it wrap its arms around me.
I rekindled my love affair
I laughed so hard I cried.
I remembered how to use my body.
I felt strong again.

I lost my voice
and sang anyway.
I remembered how to dance
like everyone was watching.

Yes, maybe, yes.
I broke the chain just a bit.
I ran a little free.
I talked a little too loud
And drank a little too much
And found new people
a little too interesting

You said I wasn't myself.
You said I didn't seem to care
Anymore
About what people would think.
You tried to kill it.

But I am not different.
I never cared.
My salty love affair is an old flame
I've danced since I could walk.
My voice has never stopped
I am strong and loud and free
Especially when I drink
a little too much
I only stopped laughing
Because I wasn't me.

I am not different.
I just remembered
And you forgot
Fear reminded me.
Thank Goodness.

I am not different.
I just became indifferent.
Stop trying to kill it.

And you used to have a love affair too
Only with the me you think is so different.
Maybe fear will remind you.
Maybe I won't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Still

Here I am again. Frozen in a time that's both familiar and new. The merry go round has come around again and I am captured in another ...